(Update 12/21: A Slacker Radio station featuring the artists in this best of list can be found here.)
Like many, I enjoy the end of year ritual of reading “best of” lists. It’s a nice way to expand your musical horizon, catch something you might have missed, or reconsider an opinion on an album you may have misjudged.
My list of 11 is unranked and unreasoned (see considering the best of). It is simply my favorites of the year, in alpha order, along with some that fell just below that first cusp.
If pressed, I’d probably point to Atlas Sound’s Parallax as my favorite of the year. It was a late year release and is in the rotation a lot at the moment. What sticks out about the album is that the songs sound familiar,even nostalgic, but are complex, in both layer and lyric. By adding up the sum of his last four efforts, two Deerhunter contributions and two stellar Atlas Sound solo efforts, it is easy to see that Bradford Cox is one of the best songwriters of our generation.
“Mona Lisa” | Atlas Sound
Eleven for 2011
- Atlas Sound | Parallax (see earlier post)
- Bon Iver | Bon Iver, Bon Iver (see earlier post)
- Burial | Street Halo
- Girls | Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
- The Horrors | Skying
- Ice Age | New Brigade
- Kurt Vile | Smoke Ring for My Halo
- Panda Bear | Tomboy
- Real Estate | Days (see earlier post)
- Shabazz Places |Black Up
- The War on Drugs | Slave Ambient
On the Cusp
- Cliff Martinez | Drive Soundtrack (see earlier post)
- Peaking Lights | 936
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra | Unknown Mortal Orchestra
- White Denim | D
- Youth Lagoon | The Year of Hibernation
So, what did you think of 2011? Add your comments below.